The Pharos Print Center provides a convenient way to release documents. It's a web portal that enables users to release documents sent via Pharos Popups or standard Pharos Queues to any Pharos Uniprint-controlled printer.
With Pharos Print Center (Standard) you can:
- Release print jobs sent via Pharos Queues and Popups, including password-protected jobs
- Check available balance
- View activity history
- Delete print jobs
- Create guest accounts
- Charge print jobs to Third Party Charging (i.e. Cost Centers or Grants) if configured
If your system is running the Pharos credit card gateway, you can add funds to your Pharos account via credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.
If your system is integrated with Pharos MobilePrint 2.0, you can also:
- Upload documents for printing
- Send documents to print via email
- Change printing options for MobilePrint jobs (e.g. black & white to color, single-sided to double-sided).
To send and release documents via the Pharos Print Center:
1. Submit document(s) to print. Submit document via the Pharos Queues or via the Popup Client.
2. Release document(s) from the Pharos Print Center. The Pharos Print Center allows you to release your print jobs directly to your chosen printer. To release your jobs using the Pharos Print Center:
1. Using a web browser, enter the web address of the Pharos Print Center.
2. Log on with your username and password (typically your university network ID and password).
3. Select the document(s) you want to print by checking the box next to the job type.
4. Select the desired Payment Method.
5. Select or search for the printer to which to send your print job(s).
6. Click Print to submit the selected job(s) for printing and then confirm payment.
7. Collect your printed documents.
How do I check my available balance?
Your available balance is displayed on the lower left-hand side of the Pharos Print Center, as highlighted below. My Funds is the total balance of all the three purses - Technology Grant, Tuition Fees, and User Pays.
When printing your jobs from the Pharos Print Center, you can select where you charge your print jobs to. You can select from the following options:
- My Funds – This is the default payment method. Printing costs will be charged to your personal funds (i.e. internal Pharos account).
- Cost Center (if present) – Printing costs will be charged against a Cost Center rather than from your individual user account. This option is available only if you have a Cost Center.
- Select the print job(s) that you want to print.
- Click the text “Start typing to search for a cost center” (highlighted below) and then enter the name of your cost center. A list of recently selected cost centers is displayed when you click the cost center option.
If your printer is not on the Printer list, you can search for it by typing any of the following printer information:
- Device Name
- The first time you select or use a printer, Pharos Print Center will tag the printer as recently used. The next time you select a printer, you will see only the last selected printer.
- If you want to select other printers (i.e. those that have not been tagged as recently used), you can search for them by typing the printer information in the text box.
- From the Job list tab, select the print job you want to delete by checking on the box next to the job you want to delete.
- Click the Delete icon.
Password-protected jobs are displayed with a 'lock' icon. If the job is password-protected, the password must be entered before the job can be printed. If several jobs with the same username and password are printed, you can multi-select the jobs and click Print. You do not have to select the jobs one by one.
1. Select the password-protected job that you want to release.
2. Select the payment method.
3. Select a printer and then click Print.
4. On the Confirm payment and print dialog box, click Confirm.
5. Enter your password to release the job(s).
6. Click OK.
How do I release my documents using the Pharos Print Center?
- Select the print job(s) you want to print by checking the box next to the job type.
- Select the desired Payment Method.
- Select or search for the printer to which to send your print job(s).
- Click Print to send the selected job(s). A dialog box confirming payment appears.
- Click Confirm to release your print job.
- Collect your print jobs from the printer.
When you first log in to the Pharos Print Center, the first screen that you see is the Job List screen, which shows a list of documents that you have submitted for printing.
- Type – Shows the format of the document you have submitted. For example, Text, Word, Excel, etc.
- Title – Shows the document name. This is usually the document name from the application that created the job.
- Pages – The number of pages.
- Pieces of Paper – The number of pieces of paper on which the document will be printed.
- Submitted – Shows when you submitted the document.
- Cost – Specifies how much you will be charged for printing the job(s).
- Print Preview (if MobilePrint is installed) – Hover over the Print Preview icon to view job attributes (e.g. black & white, double-sided, number of pages per side, number of copies). Non-MobilePrint jobs (i.e. those sent via Pharos Queues or Popups) will show N/A. This means that you cannot change the print options for those jobs. Double-click the Print Preview icon to see a preview of the document before printing.
Click the Activity tab to view your transaction history. This tab shows the following information about your Print Center Transactions:
- Activity Date – The date when the activity occurred.
- Activity Time – The time when the activity occurred.
- Activity type – The type of activity performed. This could be any of the following:
o Computer – You have reserved and used a computer.
o Copy – Your account has been debited for using a copier.
o Credit – Funds have been deposited to your Pharos internal account.
o Custom – A custom transaction (e.g. one sent from third-party software to Pharos) has been recorded.
o Deleted Print – The job was deleted before it was printed. This includes jobs that you have deleted and jobs that have been purged by the system.
o Fax –Your account has been debited for a fax transaction.
o PayPal Add Funds – Funds have been deposited from your credit card or PayPal account to your Pharos internal account.
o Print – This records your print activity and your account has been debited for sending a print job to a printer.
o Scan – The user has been debited for a scanning transaction.
o Transfer Funds – Money has been transferred into the user's internal account at a Pharos Station or an Add Value Station.
- Description – Provides a description for your activity. This includes the name of the job and attributes (e.g. black and white, double-sided) associated with the job.
- Cost Center Charges – The amount of money charged to the Cost Center.
- My Funds Charges – The amount of money charged to the activity.
Filtering Activity Type
To restrict the number of activities shown, you can apply a filter to show only those items that meet certain criteria.
To filter activity type:
- Click the Activity tab.
- In the Activity type drop-down list, select the type of activity by which you want to filter your jobs.
- Select the start date and end date.
To show all activities, select the All Activities (Except Deleted) option on the Activity Type drop-down list.
Grouping Activity Type
Activity view can also be grouped by column; for example, you can group items by Activity Type, Activity Date, etc. To group an item, drag its column header to the space above the title.
Any user who wants to use the Pharos Print Center on a temporary basis can create a guest account by clicking the “I am a guest” link on the Print Center logon screen. This link opens a new dialog box prompting the guest user for more information, such as First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password.
Click the Create button to create a new guest account. Once you have created a guest account, you can immediately log in to the Pharos Print Center, but you will not be able to print yet. You will first need to add funds to your account.
Enter the email address and password that you used when you created your guest account.
Your account will remain active as long as you have funds in your account (i.e. your balance is not zero). If your account has a zero balance, your account will be removed in 28 days, unless your administrator has set a different expiration period for zero balance accounts. You may wish to contact your administrator to verify the number of days your empty guest account will remain active.
You can add funds to your account using the following options:
- Credit card or debit card
- PayPal account (this option may not be available)
- Kiosk machines
Talk with your print administrator about other methods of adding funds.
How do I add funds to my account?
You will need a credit card, debit card, or a PayPal account to add funds to your account. Here's how:
- Click on the Add Funds button.
- Enter the amount you wish to add to your account. A transaction fee will be charged to your account.
- Check the I agree to pay the total above box.
- Click Continue to Payment. You will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction. Follow the on-screen instructions. You can choose to top-up your account balance using your PayPal account, credit card, or debit card.
- Once you have completed your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to the Pharos Print Center to continue printing.
- Additional funds will be credited to your User Pays purse.
The Pharos Print Center includes a Funds Report tab that shows a list of all PayPal transactions for a selected date range. This helps to help reconcile Pharos transactions against
PayPal transaction reports.
Note: Only users with an Administrator privileges can access the Funds Report tab.
To view your funds history:
- Click the Funds Report tab to view your funds history.
- Select the Start Date and the End Date.
Grouping Activity Type
Activity view can also be grouped by column; for example, you can group items by Payer’s email address, Deposit Date, etc. To group an item, drag its column header to the space above the title.
The Funds report may be exported to a Microsoft Excel comma-separated value (CSV) file. To export the Funds Report data, click the Export icon on the right-hand side of the Funds Report screen.
How do I send print jobs via MobilePrint?
With MobilePrint integration, there are two additional ways you can send jobs to the Pharos Print Center:
- Email Print submission - Send documents to the MobilePrint email address.
- Web Print submission - Upload documents via the Pharos Print Center.
- From your mobile device, laptop, or desktop, send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the email address set up for MobilePrint (e.g. email@example.com).
- You will receive a return email showing a list of your submitted documents and a link to the Pharos Print Center website.
- Release your print jobs from the Pharos Print Center, Pharos Mobile Print Center (the mobile version of the Pharos Print Center) or via the device terminals.
How do I upload documents for printing?
You can submit print jobs by uploading them via the Pharos Print Center.
- Log on to the Pharos Print Center using your network ID and password.
- Click the Upload icon (on the Job List tab).
- Browse to the location of the document(s) you want to upload and print.
- Release your print jobs.
- Microsoft® Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft® PowerPoint
- Microsoft® Visio
- Text (CSV, RTF & TXT)
- Images (JPG, TIFF, GIF, BMP)
Note: Pharos Print Center allows you to change some printing options of documents sent via MobilePrint. You cannot change the document attributes of jobs sent via Popups or standard Pharos Queues.
You can change the following printing options:
- Black & White to Color or vice versa
- Single-sided to Double-sided or vice versa
- Number of pages per side (1 pages or 2 pages per side)
- Number of copies
To change printing options:
- Select the job you wish to modify.
- Select the printer you want to use.
- On the Print Options section, select the finishing option you want to apply to your documents. The following options are available:
Note about changing print options:
Documents sent via web upload will default to black & white and double sided. If you sent a document in color and did not change the print option to “Print in Color” and/or “single-sided,” the documents will be printed in Black & White and double-sided.
- Select the print job.
- In Print Options, select the Copies button.
- Enter the number of copies in the textbox provided. Print Center will automatically re-calculate the cost of the jobs based on the number of copies selected.
- Proceed with printing and releasing your jobs.
To release documents sent via email, your email address must first be registered with the Pharos Print Center.
- You must have a valid user account in the Pharos system to register an email address in the Pharos Print Center.
- You may register as many email addresses as you want.
To register your email address:
- If there is no record of your email address when you first send documents for printing to MobilePrint (via email), you will receive a reply email to complete your email registration.
- Click the Click to register your email address link. You will be redirected to the Pharos Print Center website.
- Log in to the Pharos Print Center with your username and password. You will see a dialog box showing that your email address has been successfully registered to your account.
- Click OK.
Note: Email registration is required only once; if you have submitted a job using the same email address, the next time you print, you will not be asked to register.
Why don't I see any printers?
Initially, there will be no printers listed in the Pharos Print Center. You will need to search for a printer to add it to your list of available printers.
Pharos Print Center shows recently used printers only. For more information, refer to the “Searching for a printer” topic in the Print Center Help system.
If you do not see your job in the job list, you may need to refresh your browser by clicking on the Refresh button or by pressing the F5 key.
If you cannot change the print options, one of the following reasons applies:
- You have not yet selected a document to print. You must first select a document before the document options are enabled.
- You have submitted your documents to a Pharos Queue or via Pharos Popups. You cannot change the printing options for these jobs. You can change print options for jobs sent via email or web upload only.
- The printer that you have selected does not support the print option you have selected.
Why can’t I select a payment method?
To activate the payment method, a document must first be selected for printing.
No. A PayPal account is just another method you can use to add funds to your account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use a credit card or debit card.
This depends on administrator settings. By default, the purge time is set to 120 minutes (2 hours).
N/A is short for Not Applicable. It means that you have submitted print jobs via normal Pharos Queues and not via MobilePrint. You can only change print options for MobilePrint jobs.
Hover over the Print Options column to see the print attributes that will be applied to your document, as shown below.