The quality and type of data that Beacon is able to access will determine how well you are able to visualize print information in the dashboard and reports. In addition to the data collected by the Beacon scouts, the system uses information that you provide about your organization's structure in order to present print data with valuable layers of detail and context, such as locations and business units. For example, by adding device location information in Fleet Manager, you are able to view devices within the context of this organizational structure, as shown below:
Having this information associated with your print assets allows you to better understand your print environment and take appropriate actions. Likewise, Beacon Print Analytics allows you to explore how print is created throughout your organization, from a high level down to specific individual details. Print Analytics requires access to information about users, locations, and organizational structure. The images below are examples of the Print Analytics Explorer and how you can view print data in the context of print users.
Print Created Within a Specific Region:
Print Created by Organizational Departments:
Print Created by an Individual User:
Beacon allows for up to five hierarchy levels that you can use to appropriately structure your organization. Here are two simple examples of location structure:
Assigning Organizational Structure in Beacon
There are several ways to collect information about your locations and business units, as well as the devices and people associated with those locations and business units.
Fleet Manager provides a view of print from the perspective of your network devices. You can assign physical location and business departments to each device. There are two ways you can do this:
- Use the manufacturer's device configuration utility to manually set the relevant location fields. The Beacon Scout will collect this information from each device and upload it to the Beacon server.
- Enter location and department information using the Edit Device(s) dialog box, which is accessible from any of the Fleet Manager views.
Print Analytics provides a view of print from the perspective of the documents printed by your organization's employees. It associates the location and department to the person who printed each job. In the Print Analytics Explorer, the navigation path is defined by the location and department information assigned to print users. You can set this up a few different ways:
- By default, Beacon will try to obtain this information from your directory service when a job is printed.
- You can Import a CSV file containing your print user information.
- You can configure a Print Scout to automatically import print user information on a defined schedule.
Print Scout Collection Settings
To provide a complete experience, the Print Scout collects the information it needs from your directory service. However, you can configure it to stop collecting data or hide certain fields in order to meet specific organizational requirements. To edit individual fields in the collection configuration:
- Go to Discover > Print Scout.
- Click Configure.
- In the Print Scout Configuration dialog box, clear the Turn Off Automatic Directory Service Collection check box.
- Click Edit and then make the desired changes to the individual Collected Print User Information fields.
- When a field is set to 'Do Not Collect' in the Print Scout configuration, that information will not be requested from the directory service and it will not be available in Print Analytics.
- When a field is set to 'Collect and Hide,' the Print Scout will collect that data but it will be obfuscated in all Print Analytics views.
The available fields and associated collection settings are described in the following table:
The name of the document being output by the print user
|Do Not Collect|
The network identifier for the print user
|Collect and Hide|
|Domain||The print user's assigned domain||Always Collects|
|Full Name||The full legal name of the print user||Do Not Collect|
|The print user's email address||Do Not Collect|
|Position||The print user's position in the organization||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Phone Number||The phone number assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect|
|Manager||The name of the print user's manager||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Department||The organizational department assigned to the print user||Always Collects|
|Region||The region assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Site||The site assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Building||The building assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Floor||The floor assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|
|Area||The area assigned to the print user||Do Not Collect, Collect and Hide|