By default, print user information such as name, email address, title, etc., is automatically collected from a directory service (e.g. Active Directory) as users print. To provide better reporting views of the data, you can import a Human Resource (HR) file with information about your print users, such as location, position, and department.
On the Account Profile > Details page, click the Print User Info button. In the dialog box that appears, you can import print user information from a comma-separated values (CSV) file.
The first import of print user information requires a manual mapping of the data fields:
- Select the CSV file you want to use.
- Map the data fields in the CSV file to the fields used in Print Analytics.
- Preview the mapping to ensure that everything is mapped correctly.
Once a field mapping has been established for your account, subsequent print user information imports will automatically map the fields after the CSV file has been selected.
Note: In addition to manually importing via the Print Users Info tab, you can also configure Beacon to import print user information on a regular basis from external sources, such as Active Directory or data feeds exported from an HR system. For more information, please refer to these documents:
Manually importing from an existing CSV file
Follow these steps to manually import print user information from an existing CSV file:
- Prepare a CSV file with your print user information.
- Select Account Profile > Details.
- Click the Print User Info button. This opens the Print User Data dialog box.
- Select a CSV file to import. Start by clicking Select A File, then navigate to the CSV file you want to use.
- On the Mapping tab, map the columns in the CSV file to the data columns in Print Analytics. The Mapping view shows the CSV fields in the left column, titled CSV Columns. The fields in Print Analytics appear in the right column, titled Data Columns.
- Drag the CSV field header to the appropriate Print Analytics field. Continue this process until all fields are mapped as needed.
- Click the Preview tab to see up to the first 50 rows of CSV data and verify that the mappings are correct.
- Click OK. A window displays the results of the import, the number of rows processed, and any errors during the import process.
The Preview tab displays sample results of the mapping of the CSV file to Print Analytics. Up to the first 50 rows of the CSV file data are mapped and displayed here. It's important to ensure that these mappings are correct. You can use the Columns button to show or hide the mapped fields in the Preview. You may also re-size or re-order the columns in the Preview as desired.
Note: The Columns button data field selections do not affect data collection.